Simplify My Space

September 11, 2010

Communication Station

So, in all honesty sometimes I feel as if I am running out of organization tips. But when I start to think of all the wonderful products available to us, I realize how silly it was of me to think that ideas could just "run out". Another reason I have been delayed in writing is that I have started an additional business. Opportunities to sew just keep coming my way. So far I have complete several custom jobs as well as sprit wear for babies and toddlers. But I assure you that I'm not giving up on my blog or my passion to organize. My husband actually asked me tonight if I had to give one up, which one would it be? At first I was a little frustrated that I might have to, but remembered it was just a random question to test my most recent desires and drive. But all I answered was " I don't want to have to choose." And I really don't right now, thank the Lord. I love doing both and its even that much more exciting to have two options of what I will do for the week. Its also been absolutely rewarding and humbling to see God work in both businesses. When one project is complete, or almost complete, I begin to pray for provision in my next steps. Even it's only sewing one outfit for the next 4-5 days, I feel His love and support in even my small little business adventures. It's really amazing.
I received a hand-me-down magazine of Good Housekeeping and came across a good article concerning setting up a Communication Station in your home. Keep a note in the back of your head that although they use wall and desk space, you might not have that kind of space if you live in a smaller home, condo or apartment. These same tips can be applied for over your pantry door, the side of your refrigerator, in an office space, or mud room. Also remember that wherever you place your communication station, it needs to be in an area of your home that EVERYONE can see and utilize. It does no good in a place where only you can see and get to it. The main objective of a communication station is to relieve some of the stress that you may be having and share the load. Just a small personal example... In our first year of marriage I would easily get frustrated when my husband would forget an event or double book. Well come to find out, the calendar that was on the side of the fridge was not easily visible enough when walking in and out of the kitchen. So, he suggested moving it to the front. Well, you would have thought we had been going to a counselor once a week with the reduced amount of arguments about scheduling that that occurred after that! So, make it visible for everyone, and if you have kids that you would like to get involved, stress the value of ownership in their little space. Allow them to make their name tag and draw a picture, and always make it accessible for them. Now here is the awaited link to the article. Enjoy!


Happy reading! And as always, thanks for following.

Leah

1 comment:

  1. We have used dry erase boards on our fridge for years. One is a dry erase calendar and the other just a plain dry erase board. The calendar keeps everyone informed of sporting events and dads trips (moms stress level is higher during these times...WARNING!). The dry erase board is used for notes and for the grocery list. Each family member is resposible for writing down something that they know we are out of and needs to be purchased. Then when I need to go to the store I copy the list down on paper. When I come home I only erase the items I purchased. It gives each person ownership and responsibility for writing down their own needs. I don't want anyone hollering at me that "we need shampoo!". If it isn't on the list it doesn't get purchased. Unless it is some chocolate for ME!

    ReplyDelete