Simplify My Space

June 22, 2010

Creating a "Bathroom Beauty"

Lately I have been interested in coming up with ideas to maximize the space behind closed cabinets. Specifically bathroom cabinets. There are a lot of options out there but there are very few products that I recommend. Lets just say that these products are "staple" items for many spaces.

Ok, so first things first. Pull out everything underneath that sink or linen closet and start with a clean slate. And I mean literally take a wet cloth and wipe it all down. Who knows how long it's been since you have seen the bare shelves, so take advantage of it and do it the right way from the beginning. Second, throw away all the trash, donate the "unwanteds" and set aside the "keepers." Now that you know what you are working with, you can better tackle the project.

Most cabinets and linen closets have at least 11" (front to back) shelves. Which means that you are losing a lot of visual recognition and space with your small items. I consider perfume bottles, lotion bottles, and hair products small items that commonly get lost in the mess. When you clean out your cabinets you will probably have old/empty lotion bottles from many, many months or years ago. I love finding old Bath and Body Works Christmas lotions from years past, makes me laugh. You can probably relate.

My personal solution is taking about 5-10 minutes to install pull-out drawers. Depending on your space you may be able to install a few side-by-side or on multiple shelves. When measuring the space for pull-out drawers ALWAYS take into consideration the cabinet/door frame, hinges, plumbing and knobs. The last thing you want to do is bring something home and be disappointed because you forgot to consider the plumbing in the very back of the cabinet. If anything, take as many notes and measurements as possible. It's crazy how much we can forget from the house to the store. Here are a few good examples.


These drawers are sold at The Container Store and come in multiple different heights, depths, and widths. With all the size options, you are sure to find a solution for your space.

I also want to point out that within a few of these drawers are dividers that keep the bottles from shuffling and falling over. These dividers are cheap and can normally be found in most stores (Wal-Mart, Bed Bath & Beyond, TCS) in the kitchen department with other utensil dividers. Here is a different view of each drawer. You can see the impact of these dividers when organizing really small items.



Lastly, if you have a large amount of vertical space but can't afford to install more shelves check out wire stacking shelves. You can even place a shelf over the drawer to really maximize the height in the space. Every cabinet and linen closet is completely different so feel free to ask me about your specific situation. Or, if you live in the DFW area I would love to come take a look and do it for you. Click here for a link to the stacking shelves.

I would love to hear your questions, please don't hesitate to ask.

Have a great week.

Leah






3 comments:

  1. Great ideas Leah! I use the white metal coated double shelves under my cabinets. Also found at the container store (in the kitchen section) it works well for that vertical space too.

    I love all your organization tips. It inspires me to get more organized!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great blog. I can definitely use some organization tips and hints. So glad we have met at the gym. See you soon!

    Stephanie

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Leah! I have just been skimming through but I am already thinking of how to reorganize some of my spaces :)

    ReplyDelete